Monday 3 June 2013

May 31st, Aran Islands to Clifden




Well the logistics to get us all in the same place was major. And poor Scott was stuck dealing with everything we had left on the island! Fortunately, we had not taken all of our luggage, it was in the car at the dock. But Scott still had 2 bikes, 2 saddle bags for the back of the bikes, and his backpack.

In the meantime, Mike and I are waking up in a Galway B&B near the hospital. I am hurting and cold. We have the contents of Mike's backpack between us. He had most his toiletries and we had hot showers. So we headed down to breakfast which wasn't quite like what we have encountered anywhere else. There was no buffet of cereals and fruit. While they would bring you cereal, it was fruit or main course. We both chose to have the salmon and scrambled, toast and LOTS of coffee.

Then we headed for the center of the city to see if we could get on the bus that would take us back to the ferry. We stopped to just see the posting board at the Cathedral as we walked past it just in case there is something on it about the 2nd International Quilt Festival of Ireland. One of my quilts will be in the cathedral. But there is nothing there so we head on to the bus place. We have just missed a bus by 20 minutes! So we sign up for the noon which will get us to Scott's ferry and go to explore Galway a bit.

The city is rather cool and we pass a very nice park in the center with an old fashion carousel. Then the Vodafone store where we find we can only get minutes for 1 of the 2 phones...that is after they charge it! And while they are charging it, we wander some more. There is a beautiful old church, St. Nicholas that we wander into. Of course, we have no pictures of anything we did because our cameras are all on the island!

We wait the last half hour for the bus in a nice but a bit shabby hotel getting coffee. Then we are off.

We met the ferry and were reunited with Scott. The ferry people were really great about helping him get Mike's bike and stuff on and off the ferry. Then it was off to our little pub, Au Cleibh for lunch and reorganization. Mike changed to biking clothes and they were off.

I lingered a bit then started off after them. At this point, I was actually happy to be driving on the left! I must have tried to stop my fall with my right hand because even though both were cut up, it is my right that is swollen and sore. So my left has no problems shifting gears and the right can handle the wheel.

It is beautiful country and I did grab a few pictures along the way. I did most of the same route as the guys but was a bit more interested in getting Clifden since I am still a bit shaky. I am sorry I did not get more pictures, particularly in Galway but I got the ones below. In addition, I actually got the picture toolbar to come up with these 4 so I could make them larger!




No comments:

Post a Comment